On Monday afternoon, April 2, 2018, a small electrical fire in a control box in one of the penthouses on the roof of the new section of Duane G. Meyer Library caused the library to be evacuated and temporarily closed while fire and safety crews extinguished the fire and assessed the damage, which was minor. The fumes from the small fire could be smelled throughout the building.
According to Building Coordinator, David Adams, “A control box for one of the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) air handler units overheated. The fire was contained by a metal box the controller is in and firemen put the fire out using a fire extinguisher. Unfortunately, the electrical insulation in the box was burnt resulting in the lovely smell that welcomed everyone back into the building.” The library was closed for only an hour or so.