Tracie Gieselman-Holthaus, Archives Specialist here in the MSU Libraries, has finished creating and installing a new exhibit in the display case outside the Foundation office in the Kenneth E. Meyer Alumni Center.
The title of the exhibit is The Growth of Missouri State University: A Selection of Construction Images. The images and photos selected can be found in various collections in the University Archives, such as the Ozarko Collection and the University Photographs Collection, as well as in our Digital Collections, but the exhibit also offers a brief history of buildings on campus ranging from 1908 to 2017. A notable artifact on display was donated to the Archives last semester that documents the names and dates inscribed in chalk on the wooden trusses in the attic of Hill Hall. The Springfield News-Leader featured numerous photos of these inscriptions in the August 9, 2017 issue, and some of those images are displayed near the truss with Virginia Craig’s name, who was one of the 14 original faculty members of State Normal School #4 (now Missouri State University) in 1906. In 1967, the Departments of Speech and Theatre, English, and Foreign Language named their new building Craig Hall in honor of Dr. Craig, who retired in 1952 after 46 years of service to the college.